Thursday 5 March 2009

Lost Blogger

My goodness, has it really been over a week since the last post on this, the epitome of good games blogging? Well my fellow gamers, guess what? Life bites. As foretold a little while back my life has been getting really hectic. With a degree run by monkeys who don't know how to stagger the work load, a part time job offering some more hours (thank you Primus, I need the money) and my future job taking up time via an unpaid placement, I've had little time to sleep, let alone write. So, huge apologies for the big gap between articles, but things are looking up, and with some deft time management we'll have things back to normal in no time. Promise.

So what has been going on since I last spoke to you all. Well, very little in all honesty. I know, this is looking like a slow post, but bear with me, things usually get fun around here, somewhere in the middle where the rant filled gooey centre usually lives. I promised myself that tonight I owed myself a night off to get some gaming done, and decided that as the hype for Lost Planet 2 has been ramped up recently with a proper announcement from Capcom and a nice tasty trailer, I really should break open the cellophane on the original Lost Planet, and see why people were getting excited a couple of years ago, when the game hit 360.

First thoughts I had were, my god (Primus again), for a game that is supposed to be a western styled action game, it's amazing how prominently the Japanese origins shine through. From the main character, to the story (yup, a hero with amnesia), to the characters you meet and their dialogue, right up to the visual feel of the game, you can tell that this game comes the land of the rising sun. And it's even more obvious that this is a Capcom game. I know, it's from legendary Mega Man and Onimusha creator; Keiji Inafune, but I was shocked at how much this influence shone through. The dialogue is a little on the painful side and obviously torn straight out of every badly translated anime you've ever had the misfortune to watch and the controls take a little getting used to, but their is something special about the game. Keeping in mind its creators other great action title, Onimusha, the difficulty curve starts out with you mowing down enemies with ease, with plenty of ammunition and health available. But about a few minutes down the line, as the story starts to unfold, you begin to regret the difficulty setting you started the game with. You will die in this game. A lot. But I think that it is important to remember that this game came from the guy who made Mega Man. Those games were hard. You died in those games, all the time. If you didn't you're a gaming god, or a freak (you decide if I'm talking about you).

Despite the slow and very cut scene heavy start to the game, it does feel like good fun. It's not on a par with other third person shooters like Gears of War or its sequel, but it feels solid and at times you do feel the adrenaline pumping through your brain. I'm going to do my best to keep on playing this and I'm going to reserve all of my opinions of the game until I'm finished, but keep your eyes peeled for a review in the not too distant future.

Aw, it's good to be back, I had missed talking to you all. Once you've read this post I want you to close your eyes and imagine receiving a big hug from We Live In Games. Go on, you know you want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment